The Kentucky Open Records Act requires that anyone wishing to view or obtain copies of agency records must submit a request in writing to the records custodian of the agency from which they desire records. The request must identify the records sought, as well as contain your name, address, email and phone number in the event you should need to be contacted. The agency has three business days (excluding holidays and weekends) to respond in writing whether the records will be made available and a date in which they will be ready. For additional information about open records, the Kentucky Office of the Attorney General maintains an open records and open meetings website. Visit the Legislative Research Commission website for the official statute on open records (KRS Chapter 061.870).
What is exempt from public inspection?
Any file must be reviewed before it is inspected by a member of the public to determine if exempted material may be contained in the files. Nondisclosable material is kept in a separate file(s). The following records will be exempt from an information request under KRS 61.878:
- Records of law enforcement agencies or agencies involved in administrative adjudication that were compiled in the process of detecting and investigating statutory or regulatory violations, if the disclosure of the information would harm the agency.
- Preliminary drafts, notes and correspondence with private individuals other than correspondence that is intended to give notice of final action of a public agency.
- Preliminary recommendations and preliminary memoranda in which opinions are expressed or policies are formulated or recommended.
- All public records or information the disclosure of which is otherwise prohibited by federal law or regulation, and public records or information the disclosure of which is prohibited or restricted or otherwise made confidential by an enactment of the General Assembly.
- Copies of records cost $.10 per page.
- Records requiring CDs or DVDs cost $10 per disc.
Please note that an invoice will be sent to you prior to the mailing of documents. All invoices must be paid prior to the release of records. For further information, contact the records custodian at 502-564-3296, ext. 237 or via email to firstname.lastname@example.org.